ABH PARTNERS PLC Vacancy, Doctors Online Ethiopia, Nov 20, 2021
HEALTH INFORMATION SYSTEM (HIS)-NATIONAL CONSULTANT
Nov 20, 2021 – Nov 30, 2021
Job Position: Health Information System (HIS)-National consultant
Company Name: ABH Partners PLC
Deadline: Nov 30, 2021
Location: Addis Ababa
ABH Partners Plc is a leading consultancy and human resources sourcing firm in Ethiopia with about 15 years of experience in supporting the implementation of development programs and projects. ABH exists to fuel synergistic societal growth by harnessing local knowledge and international standard. Dedicated to the betterment of societal development, technical assistance, and knowledge management, ABH has gained credibility and industry experience in the development sector in general.
ABH partners would like to invite applicants who meet the below requirements to apply for the position of Health Information System (HIS) national consultant
In Ethiopia, FMOH has recognized the role of routine health information in advancing national efforts to deliver quality healthcare to all populations across every region of the country. The HSTPI and Information Revolution Roadmap provides a foundation and practical steps for improving the use of evidence and realizing the government’s vision for universal health care for its people. The Information Revolution calls for the establishment of an “information culture” as the ultimate driver of the use of information for decision-making. Under an information culture, information is valued at all levels by senior managers as well as care providers and communities for improving health outcomes. Despite the extensive investment in the national health information system (HIS), Ethiopia still faces various HIS challenges in the structure, management capacity and performance of the HIS in Ethiopia.
PPMED, the directorate at FMOH who is responsible for Routine Health Information system and planning is in require technical support who can implement conduct analysis of the data and avail timely coverage and service information for decision making, coordinate the implementation of Health Informa Systems Strategic plan including Birth and death notifications.
Hence, UNICEF would like to hire technical assistance at the capacity Health Information System (HIS)-National consultant seconded at Federal Ministry of Health, Policy Planning Monitoring and Evaluation Directorate.
- In line with FMOH Information revolution agenda and UNICEF Global HSS strategy, Ethiopia CO health strategy has prioritized, under its HSS output, strengthening health information use as a key strategic intervention to improve health of mothers and children through evidence based planning and decision making This is clearly reflected in the current (2016-020) and upcoming country program cycle (2020-24). Currently, As ECO is expanding its engagement to support FMOH-PPMED/HITD in the scale up of UNICEF led data use applications such as Scorecard, Bottleneck Analysis and Action Tracker, the need for additional temporary technical support becomes critical.
- Moreover, efforts are underway to ensure continuity of essential services is maintained throughout COVID-19 pandemic and the health systems creates an equitable access to essential service delivery throughout the emergency period. One of the indications is the development of implementation guide for RMNCHAH-N services provide direction on the need of timely data for decision making on maintain essential curative, preventive, promotive services and adherence to the guiding principles in the context of COVID-19 pandemic in Ethiopia. For this to be realized, strengthening regular and high frequency monitoring and analytics critical.
- In addition, UNICEF is a pioneering partner to the government to the strengthening of linkage of Health information system and CVRS i.e. UNICEF has played key role in institutionalization of CRVS in the country and demonstrated the interoperability of MNCH services and HIS with CRVS as one of the best and effective approaches to promote it. Therefore, the gains need to be sustained and further expanded together with Ministry of Health plans and priorities on HIS.
Required number: 1 (One)
Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duration: 11.5 Months
Reporting to: Health Specialist (Planning and Monitoring)
Expected Start Date: Immediately after concluding the contract agreement
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the oversight and supervision of the section health specialist (PM); he/ she will support the full implementation of Health Information Systems Strategic Plan particularly the Strategic Direction in;
Improve culture of information use
Provide high quality technical capacity building to MNCH directorate and FMOH and lower levels on enhanced data analysis and visualization to track key Maternal, New-born and Child Health intervention including monitoring including the impact of COVID-19 on the essential services
Support the full scale up and implementation of Child health and Nutrition module of Electronic Community Based Health Information System (e-CHIS) to regions
Strengthen CVRS particularly Birth and death registration through institutionalizing effective events (Birth and death) notification system.
Due to the nature of the work, the consultant will be spent eighty percent of his time at FMOH but will be under regular oversight of the Health specialist (PM)
Specific Tasks and deliverables
Deliverables – Strategies – Estimated time frame
FMOH Supported in the implementation of strategic direction, improve culture of information use in the HIS strategic plan of HSTP II – 6 days per month
- Provide programmatic guidance and technical assistance to strengthen data demand and use across all levels in the health system.
- Strengthen the functioning of Performance Monitoring Team (PMT) and other relevant data use platform at the FMOH and levels
- Full Implementation scale up of SCORECARD and Bottle Neck Analysis (BNA) apps application embedded in the NB
- Strengthen CBMP project implementation
- Maximize the use and utilization of local health datasets through guidelines for applying advanced health data analytics methods.
- Develop and review guidelines, SoPs, job aids and tools to improve management and use of health information at all levels
FMOH capacity enhanced Data analysis and visualization to track key Maternal, New-born and Child Health intervention including monitoring the impacts of COVID 19. This is implemented in strong coordination with MNCH directorate and its regional levels
- Assess and identify gaps on data use – 5 days per month
- Arranging and provision of on-sight or organized training on data analytics to MNCH directorate and its regional levels
- Conduct regular data analysis summarize findings, prepare presentations and periodic high-level reports
- Conduct in-depth analysis of secondary data such as HMIS, DHIS and other sources particularly in relation to equity monitoring update
- Develop measurements for complex constructs such as community satisfaction, governance index, universal health coverage index etc… Organizing off-job and on-the-job training on DHIS2/ health information system/ M&E / for regions
- PPMED and regional health bureau staff capacitated on data analytics and visualization.
Child health and Nutrition module of Electronic Community Based Health Information System (e-CHIS) scaled up to regions – 3 days per month
- Developing road map to the implementation of e- CHIS
- Leverage resources from different Doners and programmes to its implementation
- Coordinate implementation
Community and facility-based Birth and Death notification institutionalized and fully implemented to enhance CRVS system of the government – 4 days per month
- Support proper integration and application of Health information exchanges and interoperability’s with other sectors ((interoperability and digitalization of CRVS platforms and HIS)
- Provide technical support in joint platforms and technical coordination of MOH & INVEA
- Strengthen birth and death notification system at health facilities
- Expand implementation of community-based birth, death and cause of death notification system
- Establish and implement a data generation system on community cause of death
Emergency related data management – 3 days
- Support emergency response data management and analysis
Supervision and Reporting
The consultant reports and is accountable for everyday tasks by director of the PPMED/FMOH with regular and periodic reports to HITD/FMOH as need be
The consultant is expected to produce monthly progress report of his deliverables and submit to UNICEF Health specialist (PM). The consultant is also expected to sit one full day in UNICEF health section once in two weeks (twice a month).
Through the consultant engagement on endorsing data sharing protocol and data analysis – UNICEF would be able to get HMIS data.
- Master’s degree in Health informatics, M&E, biostatistics, Public Health or demography
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience
- Have proven experiences in analysis of multiple and complex health related data and produce report.
- Have proven experience on DHIS2, data visualization and dashboard design
- Basic understanding and experiences on CRVS concept its information management.
- Good communication skill and being able to work effectively in group
- Project management skill
- High level of proficiency in relevant computer applications including: Statistical analysis software (SPSS, Stata, ODK Epi info)
- Good analytical, organizational and report writing skills
- Have proven skill and understanding on data exchange platforms and HIS architectures
- Language requirements: The consultant should be fluent English and Amharic.
This consultancy post is restricted to Ethiopian national only.
How to Apply
Qualified and interested applicants who fulfil the above requirements can apply through: CLICK HERE