August 21 2021
Aug 20, 2021 – Aug 26, 2021
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
For Hygiene Promoter
Country Office: Ethiopia
Work Base: Addis Ababa
Availability: As Soon As Possible
Salary Scale: EMS04
Insurance – (Life, Group Personal Accident, and Medical Insurances are covered upon the organization policies)
Seniority Allowance – paid depending up the years of service.
Female Applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
About Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children and we enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 8,000 staff in over 50 countries, our programs reached 17 million people in 2019.
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1984 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions (Oromia, Somali, Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, and Gambella) with a portfolio of 20m USD/year of emergency, resilience building, research, and innovation programs. We have a country team of around 600 staff in 17 regional and satellite offices. Our main donors in Ethiopia in 2020/2021 are BHA, ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, UNICEF, GFFO, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, CIAA, and others.
Summary of position
The Hygiene Promoter will be responsible to plan, implement, follow up, and report WASH software components, which include hygiene, sanitation, and WASH NFIs in line with standards by facilitating the data collection, information dissemination in close collaboration with NDRMC staff, Woreda Health experts, and returnees who are sheltered at collective sites, follow-up and support community-based activities.
- The Hygiene promotor Supports the WASH team in reporting and overall emergency response activities, supervise community volunteers, and collaborate with the different actors at collective sites
- The Hygiene promotor key responsibility is to Contributing for to the improving improvement of the living conditions of repatriated returnees from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia(KSA ), particularly to protect and support women and children most affected children, pregnant and lactating women through the provision of WASH NFI, and Hygiene promotion and protection Activities.
- The Hygiene Promoter will communicate and coordinate with WASH and the emergency response team at the capital office.
- Externally she/he will develop and maintain excellent relationships at grassroots with partners, stakeholders, and returnees /beneficiaries in the base/shelter.
- The Hygiene Promotion will ensure quality and timely reports of projects, in line with the organization’s rules, regulations, and standards.
Essential job duties
Objective 1:- Assist the overall WASH and NFI implementation at collective centers in Addis Ababa for hygiene promotion, conduct training, and mobilization of the beneficiary communities
- Identify possible facilitators within beneficiary communities/returnees (at Shelter sites, IDP centers, )
- Plan and conduct hygiene promotion sessions within Returnees/communities, at shelter sites, IDP centers;
- Conduct training sessions to Returnee, community representative and returnees representative points Committees;
- Conduct IDP settlements visiting to inform and motivate Returnees / Individuals to improve good personal and environmental hygiene practices and mobilizations when required.
- Participate to elaborate communication tools well adapted to promote hygiene education: BCC/IEC materials, posters, etc.
- Identify, register, verify and distribute hygiene items and NFIs;
- Conduct hygiene and sanitation assessments and surveys and compile assessment reports
- Work closely with the local government, Returnees representatives, local health system, HDAs, HEW, health facility staffs
- Demonstrate proper use of NFI and WASH facilities are properly used by the returnees
- Identify needs, plan and ensure the distribution of NFIs for the intended emergency affected beneficiaries
- Supervise and monitor the distribution of WASH NFI items
- Coordinate post-distribution monitoring of NFIs
- Follow up and support the construction of WASH facilities at shelter sites (eg latrine maintained, pit Excavation, hand washing installation, and pipeline maintenance and installation activities at shelter sites )
- Ensure regular progress reports of the overall activities
- Ensure the Action Against Hunger activates of WASH, NFI and protection are integrated during implementation at shelter sites in Addis Ababa
- Participate in organizing, coordination, planning, and conducting WASH surveys and assessments
- Facilitate and distribute different logistical support and kits to the government and beneficiaries as per AAH and donor guidelines
Objective 2: Contribute to internal and external coordination and representation
- Develop contacts with Returnees representatives/community leaders and key stakeholders to explain and promote the project;
- Act as a link between the Organization and beneficiaries, government (NDRMC) staff, and camp managers.
- Participate in internal and external coordination meetings when needed.
Objective 3: Contribute to the management of project and team
- Ensure implementation of the activities defined by the project (s) and the WASH PM
- Schedule activities according to the project’s development
- Assess and update project needs (financial, logistics)
- Identify and anticipate problems or constraints
- Propose solutions or improvements for better performance of the project
- Train the team of hygiene promoters volunteers and make sure they transmit messages clearly to the community/ returnees.
- Organize the Hygiene Promoter’s work: optimize the distribution of tasks among volunteers and returnees representative
- Prepare reports and support in reporting
Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports the values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel, and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel frequently for field works. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high-security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Diploma in Public Health, Social work and Community health-related field of studies or related professional experience.
- Minimum 2 years of related experience. Experience in training, familiarity with community mobilization/awareness creation methods/ activities, knowledge on child development, hygiene promotion, and nutrition issues is a plus.
- 1-2 years previous experience working with the hygiene and sanitation behavior change approaches and NFI and protection activities implementations
Required Skills & Competencies
- Knowledge of national emergency response standards in WASH and NFI and protection issues
- Good experience on assessment tools and knowledge of different participatory hygiene and sanitation promotion approaches and tools is essential
- Knowledge of public health and communicable diseases like cholera, COVID-19
- Good communication with staff and flexibility
- Excellent knowledge of Amharic and English language
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your application composed of none returnable CV, a Covering Letter with “Hygiene Promotor” written in the subject line, and three references, applicants should only apply to the following address:
Deadline: 26 August 2021 before 5:00 pm
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be, communicated on and the selection process includes technical tests and an interview.
All candidates should apply online Action Against Hunger- the USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment