Assistant Researcher (Lab Technologist)
- Job Description:
The Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI) was founded in 1970 through the initiative of the Norwegian and Swedish Save the Children organizations seconded by the Ministry of Health of Ethiopia. The Institute got its name from the Norwegian physician, Gerhard Henrik Armauer Hansen, who first described the leprosy bacillus (Mycobacterium leprae). AHRI is a biomedical research institute that works in developing tools for prevention, control and treatment of mycobacterium and other diseases of public healthy importance through applied and basic biomedical research and training.
Purpose of the Vacancy
AHRI in collaboration with local and international partners is planning to undertake a project that supports the national cholera control and prevention effort through OCV effectiveness study and enhanced disease surveillance under a project called ‘Ethiopian Cholera Control and Prevention (ECCP)’. The project will be implemented in one of hotspot site for cholera therefore we are looking for a lab technologist who will be responsible for the coordination of the project lab activities centrally at AHRI, in the field and communication with partners per the detailed duties and responsibilities listed below. The lab technologist in collaboration with project lead and staff at AHRI as well as in the field will coordinate all lab and filed related project activities.
Position in the organization:
The Assistant Researcher (Lab Technologist) will be affiliated to the clinical trials and BVDRD directorates and report to the project lead, PI.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Contributes to the quality and timely delivery of field & laboratory research results of the project by:-
- Preparing field & laboratory activity plan of the research project
- Securing the necessary field & lab resources and facilities for conducting the research activities
- Carrying out and coordinate the day to day laboratory operations including but not limited to sample collection and/or ensuring its proper collection from health facilities & transport of samples to lab and/or facilitate its transfer to AHRI, ensuring bacterial culture & identification, isolate storage & other study procedures are run per the study Protocol & SOPs at the lab with frequent field visit.
- Coordinate field, clinical and lab activities and ensuring quality of study forms completion, sample collection & transport.
- Coordinate and monitor recruitment and follow-up of patients, controls & contacts in the study.
- Participate in community sensitization and follow-up of study participants
- Serve as the primary technical & admin contact person for all project related lab activities
2 Contributes to training and ensure the efficient and effective utilization of field and laboratory resources by:-
- Facilitating preparation and delivery of training programs and/or deliver training to site staff as necessary
- Facilitate preparation and utilization of the field and lab research project resources
- In collaboration with the project coordinator, anticipate the research project’s material needs and requesting supplies on time
3. Perform other project related duties as required by:
- preparing field and lab reports of project activities
- Preparing and submitting periodic reports on the lab performance of the project
- Field visit and supervision of all project activities in the clinic, lab & field during data & sample collection
- Other related responsibilities as requested by the project leader and/or director as necessary
- Job Requirements:
- Educational Qualification and Experience:
– MSc in Laboratory Sciences; OR
– BSc in Laboratory Sciences and minimum two years of working experience
– Minimum GPA of 3.00 for male and 2.75 for female
– Strong interest in field & laboratory research is a requirement
– High personal motivation and willingness to work most of the time in the field
– Training and/or experience in microbiology methods is an advantage
Duty station: Addis Ababa with frequent field visit to project site, Shashemene.
Employment Type: One year contract period with possible extension based on performance and budget availability.
- How To Apply:
- Interested applicants who fulfilled the above requirements should send the following through ethiojobs.net on or before August 7, 2021.
- A CV/resume (not more than 5 pages)
- A cover letter (not more than one page)
- A one page table summarizing your educational background, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process
References: Please provide three references including their e-mail address.
No. Required: 01 (one)