- Job Description:
The Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI) was founded in 1970 through the initiative of the Norwegian and Swedish Save the Children organizations seconded by the Ministry of Health of Ethiopia. The Institute got its name from the Norwegian physician, Gerhard Henrik Armauer Hansen, who first described the leprosy bacillus (Mycobacterium leprae). AHRI is a biomedical research institute that works in developing tools for prevention, control and treatment of mycobacterium and other diseases of public healthy importance through applied and basic biomedical research and training.
Purpose of the Vacancy
AHRI in collaboration with local and international partners is planning to undertake a project that supports the national cholera control and prevention effort through OCV effectiveness study and enhanced disease surveillance under a project called ‘Ethiopian Cholera Control and Prevention (ECCP)’. The project will be implemented in one of hotspot site for cholera therefore we are looking for a clinical research assistant who will be responsible for the leading the field clinical and lab data collections based in selected health facilities in the study site per the detailed duties and responsibilities listed below. Therefore, the clinical research assistant in collaboration with project lead and staff at AHRI as well as in the field will coordinate and do data collection and related project activities.
Position in the organization:
The clinical research assistant will be based in the study site and affiliated to the Clinical Trial Directorate and report to the Project Lead, PI.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Contributes to the quality and timely delivery of clinical, field & laboratory research results of the project in ECCP study site by:-
- Preparing patient recruitment plan of the research project in the study hospitals & HCs
- Recruiting study patients per the required criteria in ECCP project
- securing the necessary resources and facility for conducting the research project
- carrying out the day to day operation including data collection, supervision of the clinical and lab activities of the research project with possible field visit
- ensure the quality of data collected per the study protocol and required standards
- Assisting and/or coordinate the research project team members.
- coordinate and monitor recruitment and follow-up of patients, controls & contacts in ECCP study
- participating in community sensitization and follow-up of study participants as necessary
- serve as technical & admin contact person for all project related activities in the assigned study site and health facilities
2. Contributes to training and ensures the efficient and effective utilization of project resources by:-
- Assisting in preparing training programs and materials for the training of the site and field staff as identified by project leader/coordinator
- Facilitate preparation and utilization of the clinical, field and lab research project resources
- Assist in preparing and utilization of the research project budget in the study site
- Anticipating the research project’s material needs and requesting supplies on time
3. Perform other project related duties as required by:
- preparing clinical recruitment performance reports of study
- Preparing and submitting periodic reports on the performance of the project in the study site, facility
· visit and supervision of all project activities in the clinic, lab & field during data & sample collection
· Other related responsibilities as requested by the project leader and/or coordinator as necessary
- Job Requirements:
- Educational Qualification and Experience:
– MSc in Nursing or Public Health; OR
– BSc in Nursing or Public Health and minimum two years of working experience
– Minimum GPA of 3.00 for male and 2.75 for female
– Strong interest in field & clinical research is a requirement
– High personal motivation and willingness to base and work in the field
– Training and/or experience in microbiology methods is an advantage
– Knowledge to the language and tradition of the people in the study site is an advantage
Duty station: Shashemene Zuria Wereda and Shashemene Town
Employment Type: One year contract period with possible extension based on performance and budget availability.
- How To Apply:
- Interested applicants who fulfilled the above requirements should send the following through ethiojobs.net on or before August 7, 2021.
- A CV/resume (not more than 5 pages)
- A cover letter (not more than one page)
- A one page table summarizing your educational background, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process
References: Please provide three references including their e-mail address.
No. Required: 04 (four)