July 24 2021
MÉDECINS SANS FRONTIÈRES – SPAIN
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
MSF-Spain has the following vacant position:
Title: GUJI: SURGEON
Place of Work: GUJI / Sababoru with displacements in the zone
Salary: According to the new salary grid of MSF
Contract: 6 months with possible extension
MAIN OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Organize and carry out surgery activities, ensure pre and post-operative surgical care, in accordance with MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in close collaboration with medical staff in the emergency, intensive wards and operation theatre in order to improve patients’ health conditions.
- Coordinates the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols (antibiotic prophylaxis, post-operative pain management, thrombo-prophylaxis, caesarean section, blood transfusion, etc) and recommendations (standard hygiene and sterilization rules, prevention to HIV, TB, Syphilis and Hep B exposure) in order to minimize clinical risks.
- Undertake pre-operative consultations, evaluating the surgical risks with the anesthetist and/or other medical staff involved, and obtaining the patient’s signed consent to operate.
- Carry out emergency and programmed surgical intervention following MSF protocols and policies including swab counts, ensuring appropriate use of surgical equipment and proper OT registry entry/documentation of all OT intervention.
- Carry out post-operative clinical care and ward rounds collaborating with the anesthetist, the Operating Theatre Nurse and ward staff or other Unit Managers to ensure compliance with MSF protocols and rational use of medicines. Attend OPD, emergency room when required.
- In collaboration with the anesthetist, carry-out the collection and analysis of quantitative surgical- anesthesia data, using post-operative observation sheets, routine data collected, patient files, operating department register, patient file, etc to monitor quality. Monthly revue data and analyze clinical trends and comment on adverse events / poor clinical outcome. Support organizing the operating program and with OT staff monitor use of material and equipment and advise on instrument needs and coordinates patient referral.,
- Put in place the emergency disaster response plan of the hospital along with the anesthetist and the medical doctor and /or the responsible nurse and run role hospital practical rehearsals, in order to ensure the continuity of the services under any circumstance
- Knows and helps implement the accidental blood exposure policy.
- Plan, evaluate, and supervise the training of the staff (emergency and the out-patient teams) in order to ensure the amount of knowledge required and to improve people diagnosing, triage, and early detection capabilities.
- Supports other medical teams/wards when needed (i.e. midwifes and obstetric teams in the maternity ward, etc.)
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- In brief, MSF proposed a project that will provide essential primary health care to at least 72,586 people, of which 24,028 of them are IDPs for two years, with an emphasis on reproductive, maternal and child health, the project will focus on improving access to quality preventative and curative health care services, lifesaving services to pregnant and lactating women and children.
- The location of the project will be Sababoru. We are targeting an HC Darme as a core facilitywith 24/7 services with secondary health care capacity. And 15 kebeles for outreach with a clear referral mechanism to 4 less equipped HCs and from them to Darme HC and further referral to Hawassa or Negele hospital. The targeted areas and population will be in phases. April we target 6 kebeles, June start service at Darme HC and September the rest 9 Kebeles.
- General Objective: The Surgeon in Darme Centralized HC will be responsible of all the emergency cases requiring surgery (Trauma, Injuries, C-sections,…) for the preoperative diagnosis of the patient, for performing the operation, and for providing the patient with postoperative surgical care and treatment. S/he will perform operations to treat or prevent diseases, repair damage caused by injuries, correct deformities, and improve the functions of the human body. This role requires complete and autonomous management of general surgical procedures (including minor and major surgical procedures), and shared clinical responsibility in post-operative care.
- Develop, implemented and follow the Operation theathre admissions criteria, guidelines, protocols, and the diagnosis and treatment standards in use in the Centre, and to ensure the correct compilation of clinical records and statistics.
- Participate and assist in clinical operational research and record keeping as required to developp the Decentralized Model of Care in Sababuro Woreda.
Essential, diploma in surgical specialty recognized by the State, Specialized Medical Doctor or Specialized Clinical Officer with medical license.
At least 1-year Surgical experience as stated in surgical CV/skill form (number of independently performed surgical interventions) corresponds with the surgeries that are performed in the mission and qualification is duly certified and verified. Desirable experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries.
- Essential, mission language (English); local working language would be an asset.
- Computer literacy essential.
- People Management.
How to Apply
All applicants should send their application files (composed by CV, cover letter, educational records, work certificates and copy of ID card) by email to email@example.com OR drop their application file in the letter box at the gate in the Guji Project Office IN ANY CASE, NAME AND POSITION SHOULD BE CLEARLY MENTIONED AS SUBJECT.
Closing date: July 31, 2021 (5PM international time).
ANY INCOMPLETE APPLICATION AND/OR
ENVELOP WITHOUT NAMES+POSITION AND/OR
EMAIL WITHOUT NAME+POSITION IN THE SUBJECT
WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
WOMEN AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES (compatible with the nature of work) ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!
Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Copies of CV + supporting documents are non-returnable. Phone calls are not allowed.
For more Vacancy Announcements Click Here
To recent vacancy Alerts Go to our telegram bot