- Job Description:
- Context of the mission
MÉDECINS DU MONDE FRANCE (MDM-FR) is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) involved in humanitarian interventions, operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
From November 2020 to January 2021 two needs assessments were conducted for the health, emergency preparedness and nutrition sectors, one in Chinaksen Woreda another one in Tuliguled. The goal of this mission was to assess the humanitarian needs caused by ongoing drought and conflict and evaluate intervention options for MdM. After successful submission of the project proposal to ECHO, one-year intervention is foreseen to be launched on May 2021.
The project is implemented by a multi-sectoral consortium (health, and WASH) composed of three international non-governmental organizations (MdM-France, MdM-Germany, COOPI). The objective is to contribute to the reduction of morbidity and mortality of populations affected by inter-community conflicts and humanitarian crises in Oromia and Somali regions in Ethiopia. The woredas (health districts) targeted are the Chinaksen woreda in Oromia region (MdM-FR and COOPI) and the Tuliguled woreda (MdM-Ge and COOPI). The consortium will support 5 health centers (HC) in the 2 woredas affected by crisis, as well as 21 health posts (HP) in the catchment areas of the health centers supported by the action. For populations (internally displaced persons and host communities) with difficulties in accessing functional health facilities, mobile clinics will be deployed offering a minimum package of activities, with a special focus on mother and child health, including comprehensive sexual and reproductive health (SRH) services and medical support for survivors of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV).
Hierarchical & Functional links
The Community Mobilizer will be based in Chinaksen woreda, East Hararghe Zone, Oromia region. S/he will be under the direct supervision of and report to Program coordinator.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
The position is tasked to take a lead in community mobilization activities in the target areas. The Community Mobilizer will be responsible for facilitating the implementation of community-based activities at the community level to contribute to the empowerment of the communities, and they contribute to mother and child wellbeing, WASH and outbreaks such as Covid19.
Key activity areas will include:
- Responsible to design, plan and implement outreach/community mobilization activities in target area in coordination with other team members
- Mobilize and facilitate the engagements of community stakeholders through appropriate outreach mechanisms;
- Undertake information dissemination in a timely and understandable manner to all stakeholders: IDPs, Host communities etc
- Participate and coordinate organization of sensitization, awareness campaigns and trainings for the community tailored to the needs
- Facilitate active participation of the communities in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of community development initiatives.
- Support the collection and documentation of impact and success stories on monthly, quarterly, semiannual and annually.
Community based strategy:
- In close collaboration with other MdM-FR team members, contribute to design the community-based strategy and action plan for outreach activities
- Promote and install sense of ownership among the beneficiaries through community engagement activities or design appropriate activities for the enhanced beneficiaries’ involvement;
- Keep the key community stakeholders updated about the project
- Plan for weekly/monthly outreach and adjust to a flexible activity scheduling;
- Organize and participate in all project events related to mother and child health (BEmONC, IMNCI vaccination campaigns, GBV, FGM) outbreak focused on COVID19 during campaigns, consultations with communities, etc.);
- Organize awareness rising and sensitization sessions on the importance of ANC, PNC, delivery by skilled birth attendants, GBV, FGM, IMNCI, FP and Covid19 prevention, vaccine ….
- Mobilize and facilitate active participation of community members, including women
- Support Health and WASH technical officers in planning of social mobilization and training activities as needed.
- Coordinate and establish network for the social mobilization, when required and as deemed necessary, with other humanitarian actors operating in the same area;
- Represent community level meeting, workshop, training on behalf of MdM and share report.
- Actively participate in the Consortium Coordination meetings if requested.
Monitoring and reporting:
- Plan for and establish effective beneficiary communication and feedback system to assess the performance of the project activities.
- Ensure the community and team’s feedbacks are used to inform further activities development.
- Contribute to monthly sitrep
- Keep Program coordinator informed on any issues related to logistics in field level
- Participate in internal meetings
- Any other related MDM tasks as assigned by the program coordinator
- To inform immediately security focal point in the case of any security problem.
Basic salary ETB transport allowance: 19,100.00 ETB,45% hardship allowance plus 1,300.00 ETB
Starting date: As soon as possible
Contract Duration: Ten Months
Duty Station: Chinaksen Woreda – East Hararghe zone, Oromia region
- Job Requirements:
- Expected profile
- Diploma in Health Education/Social work
- Professional Experience
- At least one year of experience and trained in the area of social mobilization
- Experience in social mobilization, community organizing (community empowerment), within Health/MHPSS programs in Oromia Region
Skills and qualities
- Excellent communication / facilitation skills
- Understanding of gender equality and inclusion
- Ability to access and analyze social dimension to adapt according to the context
- Ability to classify and manage priorities – High autonomous is required
- Capacity to work and to live remote area
- Experience/knowledge in Oromia region is a plus
- Be part of the community in Chinaksen woreda is a plus
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply
- fluent in Oromia (writing and speaking)
- Somali is a plus
- working knowledge of English is a plus
- How To Apply:
- Interested applicants are required to fill the application form at the following link https://forms.gle/v2u1yj4srfgrzJSp7 (Note: Please make sure all the information that you provided in this form is true and accurate) and email by stating the position you are applying on the subject line of your email through [email protected]
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
For More Health related Vacancies Click HereTo Get alerts of latest Job Opportunities Go-to Our Telegram Bot