Qualitative Data Transcriber and Translator
- Job Description:
- The Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI) was founded in 1970 through the initiative of the Norwegian and Swedish Save the Children organizations seconded by the Ministry of Health of Ethiopia. The Institute got its name from the Norwegian physician, Gerhard Henrik Armauer Hansen, who first described the leprosy bacillus (Mycobacterium leprae). AHRI is a biomedical research institute that works in developing tools for prevention, control and treatment of mycobacterium and other diseases of public health importance through applied and basic biomedical research and training.
Severe stigmatising skin diseases (SSSDs) – including leishmaniasis (CL), leprosy, yaws, Buruli ulcer (BU) and cutaneous – are major causes of morbidity in Africa. The associated disability, psychological distress, and social isolation can lead to stigmatisation, especially when treated late. Communities affected are usually poor, remote, and marginalised. Many SSSDs are also neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) of the skin.
There is great potential to integrate programme activities for different SSSDs as they share common characteristics and could be handled using shared resources. There also exists the opportunity for synergistic effects of integrating the delivery of interventions targeting case detection, treatment and stigma at a community-level, especially when individuals living with SSSDs are engaged through the social structures which are most relevant to them.
The Skin Health Africa Research Programme (SHARP) is collaboration between institutions in Ethiopia, Ghana, and the United Kingdom. The focus of SHARP’s research in Ethiopia is on cutaneous leishmaniasis, leprosy, and scabies. The overall aim of this project is to improve outcomes for people with SSSDs by strengthening the care cascade through scalable strategies for earlier detection, improving management to reduce disability and counteracting stigma and discrimination.
We look for qualitative data transcriber and translator who will work closely with SHARP team members to:
1. Organize the raw files by data type to be agreed with the research team
2. Carry out verbatim transcription from audio records of FGD, KII and IDIs, which was recorded in Amharic to be transcribed in Amharic and then translated to English
3. Organizing profiles of sources of data as per agreed on format and the content of the data as per the topic guide used for data collection
4. Check completeness of data before submission
5. Translate all transcripts to English following the same format as the transcript
· Full verbatim transcript in soft copy of word document following agreed on structure (Times New Roman 12 with line spacing of 1.15)
· Corresponding translation of verbatim transcripts to English following the same structure with a word document (Times New Roman 12 with line spacing of 1.15).
- Job Requirements:
- · PhD in Public Health, Social Science or language with background in Health Science; (one vacant)
· Master’s degree/PhD in Public Health, Social Science or language with background in Health Science; (three vacant)
· Proven experience as a Qualitative Data Transcriber and Translator
· Proficient Amharic and English language command with excellent writing and oral communication skill
- How To Apply:
- Interested applicants who fulfilled the above requirements should send the following through ethiojobs.net on or before April 08, 2021.
– A CV/resume (not more than 5 pages)
– A letter explaining your motivation for the role and how you fulfill the criteria listed.
– A one-page table summarizing your educational background, work experience, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process
– Quotation of price to a) verbatim transcription of one interview b) translation of one verbatim transcript into English
NB: Payment for service depends proof of consistency and completeness of transcription and translation of the document which will have to be sample checked by the research team.
Terms of Employment: piece rate to be completed in a maximum of three months
Required No.: 4 (four); of which three candidates in MSc/PhD level while one candidate in PhD level for the approval/quality assurance of the transcribed and translated data. Please mention on your CV for which vacant you are applying for.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa