IYCF Technical Officer
- Job Description:
- Job Purpose:
To take overall responsibility for the implementation of health and Nutrition related activities in line with Concern Worldwide policies and programme proposals which intended to bring positive changes in the lives of target population.To undertake IYCF activities, guaranteeing the efficient and effective integration into CMAM Nutrition programme, throughout assessment of current IYCF practices in the target population, community mobilisation, training and promotion of IYCF practices, thereby maximising the rate of exclusive breastfeeding and improvement of complementary foods given to the target children < 24 months and the overall nutrition status for all children < 5 years in target population.
Main duties & Responsibilities:
Programme Planning and Implementation
- To build and strengthen the capacity of key agents at Kebele and Woreda level through training, monitoring and follow up and to support IYCF project integration with different approaches such as Productive Safety Net Programme (PSNP), CMAM and emergency nutrition intervention in project Woredas.
- Conduct assessment and identify health and nutrition related problems of the target community/Woreda and develop appropriate and workable activity plan and implement accordingly,
- Participate in the review of the planned activity and propose /plan new appropriate activity in Health and Nutrition sector based on the actual problems of the community;
- Prepare detail implementation plan and modality /guideline for Health and Nutrition related activities based on the main document and ensure its implement with standard quality as per the agreed time table.
- Implement Health and Nutrition as well as other Early Warning activities as per the planned time table;
- Facilitate and participate in the identification and selection of target beneficiaries in collaboration with local community and Local Government structure.
- Collect and document appropriate data regarding each beneficiaries
- Design appropriate implementation modalities and program approach to strengthen sustainability factors;
- According to MoH- Ethiopia IYCF guidelines, promote exclusive breastfeeding practices from 0-6 months age in the target population through village health workers, women support groups, Peers educators at village level and through health workers at rural health clinic point.
- Train all the Key actors in the community on IYCF matters (community volunteers, village health extension workers, peers educators, women in IYCF supports groups and local authorities).
- Provide practicable IEC materials at village level, to be used during the IYCF practices education sessions.
- Initiate and introduce innovative ideas/approaches and implementation modalities based on the local context into the Health and Nutrition related intervention;
- Provide technical and supportive supervision support HEWs, community volunteers and other community health workers to effectively implement and integrate the activities with one another.
- Support in assessment /surveys (early warning, baseline data, intervention impact, case studies, etc) and collect and document relevant information about each beneficiaries in collaboration with the responsible stakeholders;
- Conduct and facilitate training on Health and Nutrition and related topics for beneficiaries, local community and Health Extension Workers in collaboration with Woreda Health Expertise.
- Promote and ensure the active participation & initiatives of target extreme poor HHs and local community using all possible methods in all aspects of programme activities;
- Conduct capacity building training for the staff under his/her supervision on various Health and Nutrition related topics based on the assessment to ensure quality implementation;
- Prepare technical and supportive supervision plan based on the need assessment for staff under her/his supervision and implement and report on time;
- Build, in collaboration with concerned units, the capacity of key stakeholders so as to implement the progemme/project effectively and efficiently;
- Prepare and submit periodic quality progress reports on Health and Nutrition sector (monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, annually and donor reports);
- Collect and document all progress in the implementation of activities (at activity, output and impact level) and maintain project data, record and documents;
- Collect and document appropriate data using Database on time and prepare and share report at Woreda level;
- Conduct case studies and share findings;
- Responsible to control the budget allocated to the sector and ensure that activities are implemented according to quality required and agreed plans.
- Prepares detailed Health and Nutrition sector budget plan and implement in line with Concern Finance policies /producers on time;
- Responsible for ensuring proper, efficient and timely utilization of allocated program/project budget, including purchasing of materials;
- Participate and give appropriate input for Health and Nutrition Sector in Budget Revision time;
- Properly manage and administer as well as guide staff under her/his supervision
- Provide technical and supervision support or coach field staffs under his/her supervision to build their capacity to perform their assigned roles and responsibilities;
- Prepare and conduct trainings for employees of Concern and key stakeholders that involve in the project design, implementation, M & E;Work closely with good team sprit with other staff;
- Participate in recruitment process if deemed necessary
Networking and Integration
- Establish strong linkage and collaboration with Woreda Health Office and Health facilities in the implementation of health and Nutrition activities.
- Create appropriate linkage; working procedures and information sharing with other programme staff and external stakeholders.
- Integrate the sector with other sectors of programme staff and concerned stakeholders;
Monitoring & Evaluation (M & E)
- Develop participatory program/project monitoring plan; and internalize and implement the action plan accordingly
- Facilitate and participate on quarterly based monitoring sessions in the implementation of Health /Nutrition Sector
- Conduct and document annual learning reviews;
- Design and create appropriate methods/ways and implement to mainstream all cross cutting issues like Accountability, gender, inequality, HIV/AIDS, environment, DRR in line with Concern Worldwide – Ethiopia guideline.
- Ensure that all cross cutting issues like accountability, gender, inequality, HIV/AIDS, environment, DRR, are mainstreamed in the implementation of Health and Nutrition activity;
- Aware and provide appropriate technical support to staff under her/his supervision in mainstreaming of all cross cutting issues in the implementation of FIM activity.
- Demonstrate understanding of Concern Ethiopia’s Gender Equality Strategy
- Contribute to ensuring that Concern Ethiopia is a place where men and women are treated equally and with dignity and respect
- Demonstrate gender equality awareness and gender sensitivity and an ability to integrate a gender equality perspective into tasks and activities
- Job Requirements:
- Person specification:
BSc Degree in Public Health/Nursing with minimum of three years or Diploma in clinical nursing five years relevant experience
- Profound experience in CMAM, particularly SAM management
- Computer literate
- NGO experience in emergency projects is an advantage
- Good communication and report writing skills
- Good negotiation skill with government and other agencies
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written English.
- Good interpersonal skills and team player with sensitivity to cultural diversity
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to understand and respect the cultural, religious and political environment and to work well with staff and local authorities in a diplomatic
- Experience in providing training and capacity building for staff
Knowledge of participatory approaches
- Ability to work with teams at distance and good team player
- Capacity Building skills
- Ability to plan own work, set priorities, complete work under pressure or when faced with competing demands and report
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Computer proficiency
What we Offer:
A competitive salary and benefit package
- Excellent medical benefits (100% cover including dependents)
- 20 days annual leave
- 26 weeks maternity leave, 18weeks(unpaid) parental leave
- Opportunities to travel overseas and gain international experience
- How To Apply:
Interested applicants should send non-returnable C.V., application letter outlining how their experience and education fit this vacancy, please note that no need to submit your supporting documents at this stage:
ethiojobs.net OR Apply in person at Concern Worldwide in Jigjiga office
only short list candidates will be contacted
Safeguarding at Concern: Code of Conduct and its Associated Policies
Concern has an organisational Code of Conduct (CCoC) with three Associated Policies; the Programme Participant Protection Policy (P4), the Child Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy. These have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, visitors to the programme and partner organisation, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context, staff have a responsibility to the organisation to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern Worldwide will be expected to sign the Concern Staff Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the content of both the Concern Code of Conduct and the Associated Policies and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these policies. Additionally, Concern is committed to the safeguarding and protection of vulnerable adults and children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work or volunteer with vulnerable adults and children are recruited by us for such roles. Subsequently, working or volunteering with Concern is subject to a range of vetting checks, including criminal background checking.
Women applicants are highly encouraged