Project Officer (Afar trachoma blindness project ,Awash 7 Killo)
- Job Description:
- Project officer
Amref Health Africa is an African-led international health development organization headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. Founded in 1957 as the Flying Doctors of East Africa to bring critical health services to remote communities, Amref Health Africa envision to bringing lasting health change for Africain more than 30 countries across the continent. With a focus on women and children, the organization strives to overcome the most critical health challenges facing the continent: maternal and child health, HIV & TB, malaria, water and sanitation and health systems strengthening. Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia has been working in Ethiopia since 2002 in close collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health implementing a range of projects in maternal, neonatal and child health, reproductive health, health systems strengthening, health workforce development, water and sanitation, HIV/AIDS and non-communicable diseases across the country, supported by a wide range of multilateral and bilateral donors, corporates and foundations.
Amref Health Africa would like to recruit Project officer based in Awash 7 Killo and will report to Program Manager.
The project officer shall:
- Prepare annual and monthly plans together with partners and submit to the project coordinator.
- Provide trainings for Integrated Eye Care Workers (IECWs), Health Extension Workers (HEWs) and volunteers such as Women Group Leaders (WGLs), Community Health Agents (CHAs) or Health Development Armies and school teachers and other relevant bodies that can contribute to blindness prevention.
- Coordinate partners’ trained human resource in activities related to the implementation of the SAFE (Surgery, Antibiotics, Face washing promotion and Environmental hygiene) strategy to control trachoma and school eye health.
- Coordinates with partners the timely and effective of identification of TT case, follow the TT back log clear up status, and support the outreach service to beneficiaries;
- Insure the TT case finder identified and registered the person who have TT, to surgery.
- Participate in annual planning and periodic evaluations of the project, partnership and review meetings and conferences, as required;
- Facilitate and involve in baseline studies and research activities in the project area when required;
- Act as a link between the zones, woredas, health facilities and Amref Health Africa;
- Develop and maintain trust and good relationships between Amref Health Africa and its partners by working in collaboration with the respective sector institutions, collaborating agencies, volunteers’ workers and communities in the project area.
- Organize and actively participate in the activities of various community groups advocating for prevention of blindness;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports against the planned achievements and submit to the project coordinator
- Prepare and submit monthly Case Stories to the Communication Officer;
- Ensures the judicious use of resources by implementing partners; ( proper utilization of TT kip, supplies and other materials)
- Maintain adequate records of activities, reports and baseline data of the project area; and working closely with project M&E assistance.
- Conduct regular supportive supervision to Primary Eye health care units in close collaboration with partners;
- Timely update the program progresses in the project area to rural eye care service project coordinator; and
Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor (prepare donor visit, quality audit, outcome assessment
- Job Requirements:
- QUALIFICATIONS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Ophthalmic officer, ophthalmic nurse for ophthalmic nurse need to have degree with health related)
- At least five years of demonstrated experience in implementing on eye care service recently (who can commencing the project activities without any additional requirement like (refreshment training, close follow up and supervision) could provide and conducting TT surgery
- Experience in blindness prevention, trachoma, and/or preventive ophthalmology is an advantage.
SKILLS AND ATTITUDES:
- Ability and self-discipline to work with minimum or no supervision;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal & written);
- Computer literacy (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, & MS Outlook) and the Internet;
- Able to interact and manage people of diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Can foster an open trusting work environment;
- Ability to work effectively in a team-driven environment;
- Accepts accountability for work assigned and performed;
- Supports a customer-centered approach to programs, services, and systems;
- Willing to travel to the field extensively;
- How To Apply:
- If you would like to join Amref’s team, please quote the position/reference number in the subject matter and send your CV and application letter with remuneration requirements and contact details of three work-related referees, through Etrecruitment@amref.org, ethiojobs.com or to the Human Resources Department, Amref Health Africa by P.O Box 20855/1000, Addis Ababa.
The closing date for submitting applications is March 21, 2021. We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
• Telephone call to the office is strongly forbidden.
Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.