MAMI Research Project Manager
- Job Description:
Reference No: REC/006/21 Job title: MAMI Research Project Manager Location: East &West Hararghe Programme office_Meta/Chelenko Reports to: East & West Hararghe Programme Manager Number of Posts 1 (One) Closing date: March 14, 2021
GOAL’s mission is to work with the most vulnerable communities to help them respond to and recover from humanitarian crises, and to assist them to build transcendent solutions to mitigate poverty and vulnerability.
GOALis a non-for profit organizationthat has been working in Ethiopia for over 30 years across all the region of the country towards ensuring the poorest and most vulnerable in our world and those affected by humanitarian crises have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate shelter, food and livelihoods, water and sanitation, nutrition, healthcare and education. GOAL implements a range of multi-sectoral development, resilience, recovery and humanitarian responses Programmes by being sensitive to cross-cutting issues including gender, accountably, child protection, HIV/AIDS.
We envision a world where poverty no longer exist, where vulnerable communities are resilient, where barriers to wellbeing are removed and where everyone has equal rights and opportunities. GOAL Ethiopia’s main donors are Irish Aid, USAID/OFDA, EHF, ECHO and other private donors.
ABOUT THE POSITON:
The MAMI (Management of At-risk Mothers and Infants under six months) Research Project Manager will have overall responsibly for the planning, coordination and execution of all aspects of the research project, with proposed implementation in Deder woreda, East Haraghe zone, Oromiya region. The candidate will need to have excellent communication skills, a proactive nature and very strong leadership capacity.
The formative phase will be underway at the point of recruitment followed by the randomized control trial (RCT) phase and on-going data collection post implementation. An RCT has been selected as policymakers are increasingly demanding high quality, ‘strong’ evidence to underpin their recommendations. Well designed, RCT’s are an extremely good means of generating such evidence. It is anticipated that the evidence from the RCT will feed directly into ‘evidence-to-policy’ processes. Various questions will be addressed, where the primary question will focus on whether using a MAMI package improves the growth and health of at-risk infants <6m, with secondary questions looking at it’s effect on mental health and wellbeing of careers, the utility of anthropometric markers and potential added value of community-delivered supportive actions. In parallel, there will be an economic evaluation looking at the costs and cost-effectiveness of the approach from a health system and societal perspective. There will also be a process evaluation running alongside the main trail to support learning of key lessons that will inform future plans for the next stage of scale-up. The total project duration is 4-5years, having started in August 2019.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY/DUTIES:
- Coordinate study project related activities across the respective sites
- Ensure the smooth and efficient day-to-day operation of research and data collection activities; acts as the primary coordination point of contact for internal research staff.
- Coordinates the day-to -day activities of any technical support staff specifically engaged in the carrying out of research /clinical protocol, as appropriate to the position; may perform aspects of research protocol, as required, in accordance with specified program objectives.
- Implement quality control process throughout the conduct of field trial
- Ensure adequate clinical and community-based support for trial activities.
- Facilitating data collection, supervision and follow up of field staff
- Organize, involve and coordinate data collection process
- Supervise and coordinate the provision of support service to investigators, administrator and researchers
- Prepare and submit regular activity reports for investigators, administrators & researchers
- To perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
- Conduct regular supportive supervision to each research sites (health facilities)
- Additional tasks might be assigned by the Principal Investigator and/or line manager
Administration and management
- Plan, coordinate and execute assigned research projects.
- Lead research team to complete projects within allotted timelines and budgets.
- Develop and enforce research policies and procedures.
- Address project issues and escalate complex issues to management.
- Perform day-to-day management of project team and address any team issues promptly.
- Assist in employee recruitment, training, and performance evaluation, promotion and termination activities.
- Act as primary contact for client communications.
- Report project progress, status, and issues if any to client on regular basis.
- Prepare project documentations and research reports for management review.
- Work with management to prepare project plan, develop detailed budgets and schedules.
- Develop contract specifications and negotiate business contracts and terms with partners.
- Conduct team meetings including updates on project status and issues.
- Monitor project progress regularly and report the same to management and customers.
Liaison and networking
- Liaise with Woreda and zone health bureaus/office to ensure coordination and buy in of research process and findings.
- Represent GOAL at technical and advocacy networks at woreda and zone level related to nutrition research and studies
Staff management and support
- In consultation with East and West Hararghe programme manager and Admin and HR department, identify ECF research team training needs, organize and conduct trainings and identify appropriate training opportunities on search tools and practices
- Provide technical support and advice to research officers, data clerks and HEWs on technical issues related to MAMI research
- Foster team building and integration within other GOAL E programme in the zone
- Support staff capacity building, mentoring and coaching to delivery high quality research result
- Ensure timely staff performance objective setting, performance review and appraisal according to GOAL E performance management cycles
Monitoring and Evaluation
- · To develop improved indicators for monitoring and evaluation.
- In conjunction with MEAL team and Jima University participate in the development and implementation of quantitative and qualitative data collection, analysis and reporting whenever possible and needed
- Coordinate and work closely with MEAL team for data mainstreaming to GOAL E central system
- Monitor the implementation of planned activities and budget utilization through conducting monthly and quarterly review meetings among research team and GOAL nutrition progarmme.
- Job Requirements:
Do you want to join an exciting organization that brings high level impact to the community and add value to your professional advancement? Then join us if you have:
- B.Sc./M.Sc. or equivalent in Public Health/ Nutrition or related degree
- With 4 years for MSC holder and 6 years for B.SC holder. Out of this 2 year in senior role
- Excellent communication skills
- Proactive character with strong decision making ability
- Strong and demonstrated leadership skills
- Proven experience of managing research projects and nutrition programs
- Proficient in preparation of and management of written reports and budgets, with good communication and computer skills
- Experience and skills in staff training and management
- Experience organising and managing nutrition assessments
- Good knowledge of Ethiopian health and nutrition system
- Good database management and software skills
- Familiarity with dealing with donor and government offices
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Oromifa languages
- Willingness to travel within Ethiopia
- Experience working in Hararghe area.
Desirable qualities, skill and Competencies:
- Skills in organizing and facilitating quality data collection, data clearing, coding and facilitating training.
- Expertise in one or more of the following program areas: community-based nutrition programming or infant/child health
- Familiarity to GOAL geographical area of interventions and knowledge of local language (Oromifa).
- Accountability & responsiveness within areas of responsibilities,
GOAL’s recruitment procedure is fair and transparent which is also in line with the organization’s commitment to its integrity, honesty and culture. GOAL is committed to ensure that, its performance complies with the terms and conditions of relevant agreements, applicable laws & regulations. Hence, pre-employment background checks will be conducted, and employees are required to read, understand, sign and implement different polices including safe guarding and child protection policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and abuse policy, sexual harassment policy, code of conducts and any other rules and regulation of the organization. GOAL is strongly committed not to harm the people under its care.
- How To Apply:
- APPLICATION PROCEEDURE:
Interested and qualified applicants need to COMPLETE THE SUMMARY SHEET which is found at the end of this vacancy and send with ONLY APPLICATION & CV. The vacancy reference number along with the title needs to be written in the application letter and/or subject of the email. Applicants can apply using the following option.
- Applicants who have access to the internet can directly apply online using [email protected] or ethiojobs.net.
- The vacancy reference number along with Job Title needs to be written on subject of the email, failing to do this may lead to disqualification).
- The below summary statements/checklist should be completed and should be sent with the application CV.
Please provide summary statements how you fulfil the essential and desirable criteria for this role
Essential requirements 1. B.Sc./M.Sc. or equivalent in Public Health/ Nutrition or related degree 2. Excellent communication skills 3. Proactive character with strong decision making ability 4. Strong and demonstrated leadership skills 5. Proven experience of managing research projects and nutrition programs 6. Proven knowledge and experience of monitoring and evaluation 7. Appreciation of the aims and objectives of GOAL 8. Proficient in preparation of and management of written reports and budgets, with good communication and computer skills 9. Experience and skills in staff training and management 10. Experience organizing and managing nutrition assessments 11. Good knowledge of Ethiopian health and nutrition system 12. Good database management and software skills 13. Familiarity with dealing with donor and government offices 14. Fluent in written and spoken English and Oromifa languages 15. Willingness to travel within Ethiopia 16. Experience working in Hararghe area Desirable requirements 1. Skills in organizing and facilitating quality data collection, data clearing, coding and facilitating training. 2. Expertise in one or more of the following program areas: community-based nutrition programming or infant/child health 3. Familiarity to GOAL geographical area of interventions and knowledge of local language (Oromifa).
GOAL strongly encourages female candidates to apply!
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and exam.
Shortlisted candidates will need to submit other supporting documents upon request at later stage.
GOAL is not able to contribute towards any costs incurred by candidates during the recruitment process.