- Job Description:
Internal/ External Vacancy Announcement
The Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI) is a medical research institute founded in 1970 through the initiative of the Norwegian and Swedish Save the Children organizations and the Ministry of Health of Ethiopia. AHRI is re-established in 2016 with a wider mandate to conduct basic, translational, clinical and operational researches to generate relevant data for decision making and development of tools that can improve the health care. The institute is also mandated to provide medical research training so as to contribute in building the research capacity of partner institutions in Ethiopia.
CLR-TB is a collaborative project with the Institute of Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, University Hospital Erlangen, Germany. The aim of the project is to investigate whether expression levels and sensing function of C-type lectin receptors (CLR) involved in recognition of MTB are indeed affected by underlying helminth infection.
Work place: Primarily at AHRI laboratory; may sometimes travel to field sites
- Job Requirements:
- · BSc in Laboratory Sciences/Technology from a recognized institution And two years work experience; OR MSc in Laboratory Sciences/Technology from a recognized institution
· Strong organizational and coordination skills esp. in the lab for timely data reporting
· Technical skills on molecular biology and immunology including RT-PCR, Flowcytometry, in vitro stimulation and so on, will be an advantage
Major duties and responsibilities:
· Prepare regular laboratory activity plan of the research project
· Prepare reagents/solutions required for laboratory experiments
· Receive specimen from study sites for further laboratory analysis
· Execute quality and appropriate lab analyses in a timely manner
· Ensure proper handling, cleaning and maintenance of laboratory equipment
· Strictly abide to study-specific standard operating procedures (SOPs)
· Ensure good communication with field coordinators and study team for sample receipt, handling and generating quality data
· Follow GCLP, biosafety practices and quality control/assurance practices
· Ensure regular inventory and efficient utilization of laboratory resources
· Handle any lab related duty given by the lab supervisor, quality officer or the PI
· Transfer quality laboratory data to the PI/core team and AHRI data management timely
Personal attributes and additional competencies:
· Excellent interpersonal communication skill
· Strong computer literacy (MS office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internet use)
· Strong organizational skills
· A high level of attention to details
· Ability to work with others/team work, including international collaborators
· Flexible to working off-working hours or weekends as needed
· Willingness to take up additional responsibilities and continuous training as needed.
Terms and Conditions:
1. Salary: According to the Institute’s scale for contract employees
2. Hours of Work: Are governed by the laws of Ethiopia. However, the nature of the work is
such that it might require working late hours and weekends
3. Length of Contract: This is a 1-year post, subject to annual contract renewal
- How To Apply:
- Interested applicants who fulfilled the above requirements should send the following through ethiojobs.net on or before December 10, 2020
· A CV/resume (not more than 5 pages)
· A cover letter (maximum 1 page, describing why you wanted to apply for the position and how you meet the requirements for the position)
· A one-page table summarizing your educational background, work experience, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process.
Please DO NOT SUBMIT copies of transcripts, academic degrees or recommendation letters with the application. You will provide them upon request.
References: Please provide three references including their e-mail address.
Applicants cannot have more than one application simultaneously under consideration for employment at AHRI.
The recruitment will involve individual screening of applications, followed by interview. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be called for interview.
No. Required: 01 (one)