Health and Nutrition Officer
- Job Description:
- BackgroundHelpAge International is a global network of more than 113 organizations in 75 countries. As the world’s leading organization dedicated to promoting the wellbeing and inclusion of older women and men as well as reducing poverty and discrimination in later life, HelpAge envisions a world in which all older people can lead dignified, healthy and secure lives. HelpAge has been working in Ethiopia since 1992 in the areas of health and HIV & AIDS, emergency response and disaster risk management, social protection, livelihoods and care and support, as well as building the capacity of older people associations.HelpAge International is responding to the south Sudanese refugee situation with special focus on specific needs of older people and other most vulnerable groups in six refugee camps in Gambella region. The interventions includes Health, Nutrition, Livelihoods, protection of older people and person with disabilities and capacity building of humanitarian actors to ensure inclusion of older people and their specific needs in the overall refugee response. The health and nutrition component of the project intervention covers Home Based care (HBC service for bedridden and home bound older people), organizing mass screening for malnutrition among older people and referral linkages for CMAM treatment and SAM cases and at the same time support fresh food provision based on the specific interest of older people. The intervention support capacity building and mainstreaming older people specific needs in health and nutrition responses by other actors. The specific projects are implemented in close coordination and collaboration with ARRA, UNHCR, RaDO and other humanitarian actors currently involved in various sectors of refugee responses.
We are currently seeking a dedicated professional and committed to contribute to improved living condition for south Sudanese refugee and to be based in the Gambella with regular visit to each of the camps. The incumbent will remain breast state of HelpAge Refugee response for health and nutrition component in Gambella and part of the overall project team in Gambella field office and integrated refugee response interventions of HelpAge. S/he will be required to demonstrate strong competencies in technical operation, coordination and representation and management of emergency health and nutrition assistance programmes as well as capacity building support.
Vacancy Ref No: HAI/Prog/013/20
Grade: D, step 1Department:Humanitarian ProgramLocation: Gambella refugee response – Ethiopia
Responsible to: Project coordinator
Length of Contract: 6 months fixed term (with possibility of extension)
As a Health and Nutrition Officer, the incumbent under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project coordinator based in Gambella field office, is in charge of emergency health and nutrition components, leading, planning, implementation, monitoring, documentation, reporting, coordination, and controlling/ensuring quality of the intervention of the project in the targeted camps.. S/He will be responsible for representation and promoting the consideration of older people specific needs in the overall health and nutrition emergency and recovery programs coordinated by UNHCR and ARRA. S/he is also responsible for building the capacity of camp level Assistant health officer, social welfare supervisors, Home based care providers and partners camp based staff and collaborating organizations and ensure appropriateness of field implementations and quality. As the emergency H&N intervention in refugee context of Ethiopia is integrated within a multi-sectoral response along with NFI, Food Security, shelter and Protection, the Emergency H&N Officer will link closely with other respective sectors to ensure maximum possible integration of the project activities.
The incumbent is expected to play active role in promoting and representing HelpAge’s humanitarian program, in strengthening local level emergency coordination and key HelpAge principles to key internal and external audiences. The incumbent will be part of the country humanitarian team and collaborate with other HelpAge staff, contribute to the overall country strategy.
- Direct communication and liaise with nutrition actors Lead continuous screening and referral of malnourished older people to nutrition actors in the respective camp and follow their enrolment in the CMAM treatment program of the respective partner;
Lead the health team that involve health and Nutrition assistant and Home-based care providers and OPA involved in heath intervention of the project and closely coordinate with other project staff.
- Direct communication with the Emergencies team in Addis Ababa concerning routine updates of the project as well as challenges in the implementation process.
- Close working relations with the HelpAge International Ethiopia Program and Finance teams, implementing partner program and finance staff in the field.
- Frequent liaison with project implementing partners external audiences, in particular ARRA and UNHCR health and nutrition units, technical task forces, health and nutrition NGOs in Gambella.
- Develop detail action plan and Ensure effective implementation of health and nutrition component in line with the existing donor approved project document in collaboration with other the project staff and other stakeholders.
- Lead the health team that involve health and Nutrition assistant and Home-based care providers and OPA and closely coordinate with other project staff.
- Coordinate and lead older people mapping, collection of information about older people and person with disabilities health situation in refugee camp and host community, beneficiary targeting and inclusive verification process for the planned interventions.
- Promote participatory approaches, in emergency programming to ensure inclusion of all most vulnerable groups including older people, children, women and Persons with disabilities throughout the project cycle and joint learning processes.
- Promote older people and disability friendly health and nutrition strategies, approaches and modalities in all programming activities.
- Monitor the humanitarian situation, vulnerabilities of older people to health and nutrition risks and crisis and provide regular (eg. weekly) update on the humanitarian situation and project implementation progress to the coordinator who compile and communicate consolidated Gambella update to country humanitarian
- Ensure strict adherence to humanitarian principles and guidelines in the development and implementation of all projects;
- Contribute to quality and compliance with donor reporting requirements and ensure that the Health and nutrition components are properly addressed in the overall donor reporting and communication with government and others as required.
- Support timely and to the standard procurement of health and nutrition material and delivery to support effective implementation of planned activities.
- Ensure all project activities are implemented efficiently as per the available budget and donor requirement and identify challenges and constraints and suggest possible remedial actions including possible modifications required in the process of implementation;
- Play active role in Gambella and camp level task force, coordination forums, joint rapid emergency assessments in order to raise awareness, share information and build partnerships in the humanitarian sector.
- Support adoption of older people emergency and recovery sensitive humanitarian plans and practices in the area, and the voice of older people and other most vulnerable groups are heard in emergency assessment and joint planning with other actors
- Ensure regular field level monitoring of projects, in collaboration with local stakeholders and project team in the field, tracking of project activities, effective utilisation of resources and documentation and reporting of accomplishments, lessons, risks and challenges as well as mitigation actions taken;
- Promote organisational learning by ensuring timely and quality information is collected and sharing with HelpAge, Partners and humanitarian community;
- Contribute and play key role in ensuring effective and functional community-based complaint handling mechanism is in place;
- Preventing harm and abuse from our people, operations and programmes, to anyone that encounters our work;
- Reporting all safeguarding incidents they see, hear, hear about or suspect, using our internal reporting mechanism;
- Complying with all safeguarding framework policies and practices;
- Completing mandatory training courses relating to our safeguarding policy framework and comply with HR vetting procedures.
- Job Requirements:
- Person Specifications
- BSC / MSc , MHD in the field of public health, environmental health, health and Nutrition and related field with relevant experience;
- Excellent analytical skills and able to solve complex problems quickly and effectively in the field;
- Extensive experience at least 5 years for BSC/BA degree and minimum of 3 years’ experience for MSC /MA degree is required.
- in managing health and nutrition focused projects/programmes at field level, relevant experience at coordination, partnership and project management level;
- Experience of working in refugee context and complex emergency situation in a difficult environment;
- Good time, project management and organization skills;
- Experience in working with marginalised most vulnerable groups such as women, older people, persons with disabilities, etc
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results, and able to work independently as required;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and preferably the local language in Gambella.
- Experience in design and implementation of emergency preparedness, livelihoods, WASH and food security, nutrition;
- Ability to work in partnership with other stakeholders within an agreed partnership framework;
- Good understanding of budgets and financial management
- Working with local partners
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and Outlook
- How To Apply:
First Download the summary format and fill out the required information carefully.
Indicate the vacancy reference No. and the post you are applying in subject line.
Then attach the following.
Current CV (not more than 4 pages) including three (3) professional referees
One page – cover letter highlighting job knowledge, qualification and experience.
Female meeting the minimum qualification and experience are encouraged to apply.
NB: Non-compliance to the above procedures will lead to instant rejection.
We are interested in how your skills, knowledge and experience indicate your ability to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Closing date: November 06,2020
Interested applicants who meet the minimum requirements are required to submit their non-returnable application together with the summary format by email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
For More Health related Vacancies Click Here
To Get alerts of latest Job Opportunities Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel