Nutrition Zonal Coordinator
- Job Description:
- Project Overview:
Growth through Nutrition) – is five-year multi-sector nutrition project in Ethiopia (2016-2021). It is a follow-on Activity to USAID’s flagship multi-sector nutrition project—Empowering New Generations to Improve Nutrition and Economic opportunities (ENGINE). Save the Children in partnership with its Government partner’s (FMoH, RHB, RB of agriculture and natural resource and livestock, BOWE and BOE) and International NGOs and local NGOs drives the implementation of Growth through Nutrition using a powerful, multi-sector platform comprised of evidence-based nutrition-specific and nutrition-sensitive interventions.
The purpose of the USAID Growth through Nutrition activity is to improve the nutritional status of women and young children in the four productive regions with a focus on the first 1,000 days from pregnancy to a child’s second birthday—the critical window of opportunity for a child’s growth and development. The development hypothesis for this Activity is: if sustained access to diverse, safe, and quality foods is achieved and optimal nutrition, WASH, and agriculture behaviours are adopted and quality nutrition services are utilized and access to WASH products and services is improved and multi-sector coordination and GOE capacity to implement effective nutrition and WASH programs is strengthened, then the nutritional status of women and young children will be improved. Growth through Nutrition has four essential cross-cutting elements: Gender equality and women’s empowerment, a rigorous learning agenda, sustainable approaches, and convergence/overlay of multi-sector nutrition interventions (e.g. agriculture, livelihoods, education, health, humanitarian assistance) and WASH activities in the same geographic areas.
USAID Growth through Nutrition will build on ENGINE’s investments in 83 Agricultural Growth Program (AGP) (food secure) and 17-non AGP (food insecure) and will target at least 80 food secure woredas and 20 food insecure woredas (PSNP and emergency hot spot woredas) in the in USAID/Ethiopia’s Feed the Future Zone of Influence of Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray.
The Nutrition Zonal Coordinator, based at clustered zonal department, is responsible for the overall management of the USAID funded Growth through Nutrition-An Integrated and development oriented a multi-sector nutrition program at Zonal, Woreda and health facility or community levels.
The coordinator will be expected to improve planning, implementation; monitoring and reporting processes as they pertain to Growth through Nutrition program activities. The incumbent works closely with the government structure and other zonal/cluster team members of Growth through Nutrition and related programs so as to ensure program integration at all level. The coordinator is expected to concurrently track physical implementation against activity plan and budget utilization under Growth through Nutrition health and Nutrition program component
The position holder will provide nutrition related technical support at Zonal, Woreda and community level to ensure the quality implementation of the program activities. He/she is responsible to strengthen Zonal and Woreda level nutrition multi-sectoral coordination. He/she ensures efficient and timely implementation of activities as per the approved operational plans; regularly mentor and coach health facility staffs, and facilitate joint supportive supervision.
He/she is responsible to maintain close contact and liaises with Zonal/Woreda Health and Agriculture offices; asses’ gaps and link with regional office ensure quality of documentation and nutrition and health data utilization at Woreda and health facilities. He or she is responsible for Timely production and submission of reports and other deliverables such as HFs’ program data for data base to regional office.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Prepares annual plan and participate in annual budget development for the program and ensure that Growth through Nutrition activities are fully harmonized with Zonal, and Woreda annual plan.
- Coordinate and technically support Zonal, Woreda, and local stakeholders to assess needs related to Nutrition and Livelihoods and support the implementation of Growth through Nutrition,
- Develop terms of reference, facilitate training, review meeting and joint supportive supervision that will be conducted at Zonal and Woreda levels.
- Timely submit training reports, review meeting proceedings and field travel reports to regional office for documentation.
- Ensure multisectoral coordination of nutrition intervention at Zonal, Woreda and community levels
- In collaboration with agriculture/livelihood coordinators, ensure the effective implementation and integration of Nutrition, WASH, Livelihood and SBCC components into the existing structures of the Agricultural/Health system
- Ensure that the revised national nutrition program(NNP), nutrition guidelines, and minimum nutrition standard, WaSH in the context of nutrition & QI on nutrition specific services, SBCC specific to the program/nutrition, revised HMIS, and monitoring tools are implemented in respective target zones and Woredas
- Provides technical support through regular and joint supportive supervision to Woreda health/agriculture office, health facilities and communities
- Support and ensure that Nutrition agenda is focused in Zonal and Woreda level review meeting conducted in a regular basis
- In collaboration with M&E coordinator, strengthen the capacity of Zonal, Woreda health office and community in nutrition and health information management system for decision making
- Support Zone health Department in mentoring and follow-up of the trained HW and community in implementing planned nutrition and WASH activities at all level( zones, facility community)
- Ensure health workers in selected health facilities for implementation of GROWTH THROUGH NUTRITION are trained as per national guideline
- Ensure the provision of appropriate mentoring and on job training for Health workers at targeted Health facilities using agreed tools
- Ensure that resources allocated reached the right beneficiaries, for the right objective in the right time
- Ensure that Nutrition multi-sectoral coordination is strengthened, support the livelihood team to mainstream nutrition in to agriculture and program activities are coordinated at all levels
- Ensure that all donor compliance and save the children rules and regulations are strictly followed during day to day program operations
- Ensure that GROWTH THROUGH NUTRITION activities included in woreda annual implementation plans
- Prepares periodic reports and submits to the concerned bodies in timely fashion ;
- Performs other related tasks as required.
- Job Requirements:
- Minimum Qualification and Experience
- Minimum educational requirement: first degree in public health or nursing and demonstrated experience in nutrition, maternal and child health, WaSH, SBCC on nutrition, and livelihood programs
- Minimum experience required: four years for Nursing or Public health degree holders out of which minimum of 2 years’ experience in NGO with experience/knowledge of supporting USAID funded grants
- Good understanding of Health Sector Development Plan (HSDP IV), National Nutrition program (NNP) and other health related policies & strategies
- Demonstrated skills in partnership building and interpersonal communication
- Existing relationship with Zonal health and agriculture offices is preferred
- Excellent and demonstrated skills in computer Microsoft office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and outlooks, emails
- Excellent in reporting writing skills
- Knowledge of local language is mandatory
SC Values are: Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. To meet the value system the post holder is expected to demonstrate the following Competencies on ongoing bases (this varies according to the position please consider the below as example)
Leading: (align with Ambition, Integrity collaboration and creativity)
o Delivering result: Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/ organization.
Thinking: (align with Ambition, Creativity, Collaboration and Creativity)
o Applying technical and professional expertise: Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards; promotes and shares best practice within and outside the organization.
Engaging: (align with Collaboration, Creativity)
o Working effectively with others Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives; knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
o Communicating with Impact: Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust with others.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
- How To Apply:
- Application Information:
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftlcareers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
- To Get alerts of latest Health Jobs in Ethiopia Go-to Our Telegram Bot